Just a quick post to show the damage that mice can cause. This was a brand new box of chocolates with the wrapper intact.
From the Mirror.
A vulnerable patient was savaged by a rat as he lay sedated in his hospital bed, his parents have claimed.
The rodent bit terrified Jason Ketley more than a dozen times on his back and neck, leaving him with painful and bloody injuries.
His ordeal only ended when staff spotted the 42-year-old stumbling around a corridor with the rat hanging from his neck by its teeth.
Nurses knocked the creature off and killed it. Hospital bosses claimed it was a field mouse.
But Jason’s mum Pat Boardman said: “That’s an outrageous claim. He had large, open bite marks.
“I’m appalled that this sort of thing could happen to my son in an NHS hospital in this day and age.
“He was completely helpless and terrified. It’s a disgrace. He was very scared and the staff had to show him they had killed the rat to prove it could no longer hurt him.”
Jason, who has a mental age of two, was attacked shortly after going to bed at a specialist care unit in St Ebba’s hospital, Epsom, Surrey.
Pat heard about the incident after calling the unit to see how he was doing.
The 64-year-old, who lives with Jason’s stepdad Tom, in Bognor Regis, West Sussex, added: “I was horrified. He was quite heavily sedated and wasn’t able to defend himself.”
Jason, who is also bi-polar, was taken to Epsom General Hospital where he was given injections against diptheria, tetanus and polio before being returned to the unit.
His parents have made a formal complaint to the Surrey and Borders Partnership NHS Foundation Trust about last November’s attack.
The Trust’s director of quality and nursing Jo Young described the incident as “genuinely shocking” and said the couple’s concerns were being taken “very seriously”.
She added: “Our records indicate a mouse was seen in the house and pest control was alerted immediately but we are unable to provide a complete response to all the concerns raised until we know the outcome of our investigation.”
As I’ve said before in my blog, I’m not a fan of Glue Boards being used in Pest Control but I can see where they should be used by professionals. However it seems that even professional pest controls are making mistakes:
SINGAPORE: The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) has called for an “immediate ban” on glue board traps used by pest control companies.
This comes after it found a cat stuck on such a trap.
SPCA posted on Facebook a photo of a dead cat which was extricated from the glue board.
The board had been placed by a pest control company hired by the Jurong Town Council to trap rats.
SPCA said the case was reported last Friday and by the time the cat was brought in, it was in “deep distress and panting heavily”.
The cat was eventually put down to prevent further suffering.
SPCA has written to the Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority to request for an immediate ban of the traps.
It is also calling for action to be taken against the parties responsible.
SPCA executive director Corinne Fong said: “The animals, when they get trapped on these traps as the case with this cat, the animals die a slow and very painful death, so we are urging the authorities to ban the use of these products.”
SPCA said it has contacted both the town council and pest control company.
Jurong Town Council general manager Ho Thian Poh though told Channel NewsAsia the council was never contacted and that the SPCA “dealt directly with the pest control company”.
Mr Ho said the use of the glue board was a “last resort”, and this was the first time a cat was trapped.
He said the area — Block 52 Jurong West — had been facing a rodent problem, and the Town Council had employed other means such as using tracking powder and small cages to no avail.
Mr Ho added such traps are placed only within the bin centre for 24 hours at a time.
Separately, AVA said it is investigating the matter and will “not hesitate to press for a deterrent sentence, if warranted”.
AVA has specific guidelines on the use of glue traps.
Noting that there are not many options for trapping rodents, and that glue traps are commonly used in many countries, AVA in 2010 had issued guidelines on the use of such traps.
They include using the traps only in enclosed areas to avoid the trapping of the wrong animal.
Trapped rodents have to be killed humanely and disposed of properly and any non-target animal caught in the trap, such as cats or birds, must be released unharmed and have the glue removed from its body with cooking or baby oil.
The AVA said “such animals should also be sent to a veterinarian for attention, if necessary”.
Anyone found guilty of animal cruelty can be fined up to S$10,000 and jailed up to 12 months.
I have been busy again of late, including fogging for flies and even a wasp nest this early in the year but does anyone have any idea what would cause a hole like this?
If you guessed a Rat give yourself a pat on the back, luckily for our worried householder we have put measures in place to deal with his unwanted guest and prevent his fury friends from visiting too. If you suspect Rats in your home or business visit our handy guide to recognising the signs here.
Ladies and Gents, get the Pink Champaign on ice……
The kind Google fairy had bestowed a Page Rank of 1 (out of 10) to this site.
I’ve had a PR of ZERO for over 2 years so this is actually a bit of a big deal, not only that but I’ve been bumped up the organic Google listings so I should see an increase in work. HURRAH! One step closer to global domination!
The last few weeks have been uncharistically busy, normally we have a small respite around Christmas and January but we’ve been as busy as ever. Mole trapping in Middlesbrough, Seagull Proofing in Whitley Bay and Mice in Boldon have been the main highlights.
Still, it beats being quiet so I shouldn’t complain!
The European Parliament voted Thursday (19 January) to implement stricter safety checks on biocides.
These include products ranging from rat poisons to disinfectants but also are used for cleaning, hygiene or protection purposes to fight vermin or fungi.
“We will have more safety for consumers, users and the environment. The crucial thing is that the same standards will apply throughout the EU”, said European Parliament Rapporteur and EPP Group MEP Christa Klass.
The new legislation, which needs to make it past the Council in order to get the green light, will improve both safety checks and the approval process so Europeans will have access to new pest control products that are safe and effective, Klass said in a statement.
They are one additional step toward a homogenized open market, along with setting deadlines for the applications to be assessed.
The legislation will also close a loophole, so treated products, such as furniture sprayed with fungicide, will be included under the rules and labelled.
Full article here.
Today MEPs will discuss tighter rules for pest control products introducing stricter health and environment checks on “biocides”, whilst making approval for marketing more efficient. MEPs will vote on a provisional deal negotiated with the Council on Thursday.
The Kanpur zoo administration has found a piped piper to get rid of rodents. The zoo has entered into agreement with Pest Control India.
The director of Kanpur zoo told TOI said that the rodents are disease carriers and often cause loss to feed given to the birds. Rodents have made veterinary hospital as home.
“We trap the rodents and leave outside the zoo premises or else we kill these creature because of huge loss to the animal feed, especially the feed given to the birds. So we decided to enter into an agreement with Pest Control India, which would be doing the job of catching the rodents from the aviary and hospital,” the director said.
The staff of Pest Control India would use pellets and cakes to control the rodents.
“The exercise would be conducted every two months. This contract has been inked for a period of one year and hopefully, the zoo would become rodent free completely by then,” he said while speaking about the contract.
The Pest Control India has adopted the aviary and hospital area of the zoo. They would be offering complimentary services.
On Saturday, the zoo director and Pest Control India official signed a contract which would remain into effect for next one year.
Report from the Times of India.
I went to visit a very nice lady in Newcastle last week who was being driven MAD by little furry, scaly tailed visitors making their way in to her kitchen and bathroom and an associated bad smell. Unfortunately for her (and in this case, poor old Ratty) she’d called out a less than reputable company to deal with the problem. Their solution was to use glue boards behind her bath panel and leave. Of course the next night the glue boards had worked their magic and caught a juvenile rat but rather than come out and dispatch the rat as humanly as possible they had left it their indefinitely and, of course, it had died from dehydration and shock leaving a rotting rat carcass under poor old Mrs Xs bath.
We here at EX-PEST and, of course, our reputable competitors follow a guide produced by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health for the humane use of glue boards which can be found here.
The moral of the story is always to follow your gut instinct when dealing with Pest Controllers just as you would any other tradesman, if you can smell a rat (pardon the pun) then call a company you feel you can trust. Luckily in this case the lady in question called us out and, using a verity of methods, we cured the problem, proofed the obvious rat entry points and removed the rather pungent smell using specially designed absorbent pads. Alls well that ends well!